Our Taylor location was purchased the same time as our first location in Pflugerville – that bar was originally named Marshall’s Tavern and when it came time for a name, that seemed the perfect one.
Unlike Pflugerville, this location has always been a bar with quite a colorful history of names and owners.
In the 50’s and 60’s the bar was owned by Ben Mucha and called Ben’s Lounge.
Victor Cmerek bought it in the 70’s and renamed it Vick’s Place.
Jerry Zrube took it over and called it Jerry’s Place…(you can see a theme here…).
After that Moe Buzon bought it and renamed it Moe’s. When Scott Stassney took it over, he kept the name Moe’s.
And now it is Marshall’s Tavern – where we’re looking for good stories and creating great traditions.
Taylor is at the intersections of the Missouri Pacific and the Missouri, Kansas and Texas lines and State Highway 95 and U.S. Highway 79, in southeastern Williamson County.
Like many Texas TX cities, Taylor was originally a settlement of German and Slavic communities. Anticipating the construction of the railroad, Texas Land Company began designing a town in 1876. It was named Taylor Station after a contemporary official of the International & Great Northern Railroad: Edward Moses Taylor. Taylorsville adopted a mayor-council form of city government in1882, and in 1892, the city fathers changed the name to the City of Taylor. An important rail shipping center, Taylor quickly became a pivotal point for moving cattle, cotton and grain. By 1878 the town had 1,000 residents and thirty-two businesses.
Taylor’s first test came in February of 1879, when a fire destroyed most of the frame structures (including twenty-nine of the original thirty-two businesses). But, this city responded heartily, replacing the destroyed buildings with the brick and stone structures that boldly stand today.
Taylor didn’t get discouraged when fire destroyed the town, and it certainly wasn’t going to let a little water dampen its spirit when the worst flood in local history dumped 23 inches of rain in a 24-hour period, (second only to Thrall’s 38 inches). It was another test, but Taylor forged on.
In 1882 the Taylor, Bastrop and Houston Railway reached the community, and machine shops and a roundhouse serviced both rail lines. In 1882 the town was incorporated with a mayor-council form of city government, and in 1883 a public school system replaced a number of private schools. By 1890 Taylor had two banks and the first savings and loan institution in Texas. An electric company, a cotton compress, and several newspapers were among the new enterprises. A water line from the San Gabriel River, a 100-man volunteer fire department, imported and local entertainment, and a yearly fair made noteworthy news items by 1900.
In 1884, the dog pound was established when a 12-year-old boy was paid 25 cents for each stray dog he could round up. The city marshall then sold the dogs back to their owners for $1, along with a numbered brass dog tag. The revenue was collected and used to complete the city’s first sewer system. Now that’s innovative thinking.
Taylor’s first cotton gin was built in 1877, quickly establishing the community as a Central Texas agricultural hub. Cotton has been one of the mainstays of Taylor’s economy since the early 1800s. Its rich soil and the skilled farmers made Williamson County a leading cotton producer.
Taylor continued to grow during the early years of the twentieth century. An artesian well was drilled, a city hall was built, and a hospital was opened. Two daily newspapers, as well as weekly German and Czech papers, were published. By 1940, the population of Taylor was 7,875 and 225 businesses. Though other industries were added in the early 1900s, cotton was the leading local product, and Taylor proclaimed itself “the largest inland cotton market in the world.” In 1951 the local press noted that 150 to 300 crews were at work but that 3,000 more pickers were needed; mechanical harvesting soon reduced the need for migratory workers, however. By 1954 the Agricultural and Industrial Foundation sought a more diversified local economy, a program that the Development Corporation for Industrial Financing continued in the 1980s. By 1983 twenty-two manufacturers and processors were located in Taylor, and cotton production had been joined by maize, wheat, and cattle. In the 1980s transportation facilities in Taylor included the two railroads, a bus line, an airport, five freight lines, and the two main highways. Residents were served by a daily paper, a radio station, Southwestern Bell Telephone Company, Lone Star Gas, and Texas Power and Light. Sources of water included four artesian wells and the Lake Granger Water Supply Corporation. The city grew to 11,472 by 1990 and hit 13,575 in 2000. As of January 1, 2008, Taylor’s population was 17,663.
Taylor has been shaped by a long line of talent and invention:
- Crawford Henry Booth – an early local rancher and banker.
- Dr. Howard Bland, Sr. – an investor in real estate, a commodities warehouse, a flour mill, an ice house, a hotel, a local power company, a theater, the Taylor Daily Press and an anti-prohibition newspaper. As a community leader, Bland served on the City Council and Chamber of Commerce and was a member of the 34th Texas Legislature.
- Albert Eikel – the owner of the three-story brick hardware store located at 316 North Main Street.
- Elmer “Pet” Brown – won the World middleweight crown in wrestling in 1914.
- Dan Moody, son of Taylor’s first mayor – the first prosecuting attorney in the U.S. to win a legal battle against the Ku Klux Klan. At age 33, he became the youngest governor of Texas.
- Bill Pickett – an African-American cowboy who initiated the practice of “bulldogging”—or steer wrestling—and in 1971 was posthumously inducted into the Cowboy Hall of Fame.
- Frederick Bean Avery, also known as “Fred/Tex” Avery – an illustrator who created Daffy Duck, Bugs Bunny, Droopy, Screwy Squirrel, Porky Pig and Chilly Willy.
- In 1952, the community demonstrated its gusto—intelligence and honesty—when leaders recognized Dr. James Dickey as its Outstanding Citizen of the Year. The event made news in TIME magazine and The Saturday Evening Post because even then, during a time of racial segregation and strife in the South, Taylor was appreciating its diversity and lauding the achievements of an African-American leader.
More recently, Taylor has been home to celebrity favorites, such as actor Rip Torn and musician Greg Ginn, and is the location of many unique businesses, such as Williams Brothers Model Products, FlyRite Choppers and SST Records, which has produced the music of highly influential bands, including Black Flag, Dinosaur Jr. and Sonic Youth.